As I’m sure you’ve heard, the nationals are in Vancouver this year! They’re being held at Jericho Tennis Club with assistance from the Arbutus Club and VRC. It’s hard to believe but it’s been six years since they were last here and if you play squash in Vancouver you really have no excuse NOT to play this tournament. You don’t need a plane ticket and your accommodations are already taken care of! This is a tournament you don’t want to miss.
I’m not sure if you’ve been to a nationals event before but, as a member of the organizing committee, I wanted to give you an overview of what you can expect for your $150 entry fee.
• The BC Honda 2010 Canadian Squash Championships is a national event and as such it brings together the BEST players from across the country.
• This year’s event has a Companion Event, to be held at VRC, which allows new and up and coming squash players to be involved in a national event. This event is not included every year and hasn’t been for some time!
• This is your chance to get a national ranking. You know you want one:) http://squash.ca/e/rankings/canadian_rankings.cfm
• The souvenir this event is a sweet dry fit t-shirt AND a fleece jacket.
• Your entry, whether you’re involved in the Companion Event or the Main Event, includes three (!) dinners and entertainment and dancing at Jericho on Saturday night.
• Did I mention the two beer tickets? What about the three dinners?
• Regardless of which event you are playing you will be guaranteed at least two matches (same as any tournament) but if you play the Companion Event your chances of more matches are better as we are planning a triple-knockout.
A lot of local squash players have been working really hard behind the scenes for months to make this an event that all of Canada can be proud and I think it’s time for the Vancouver squashies to step up.
Hope you all sign up BEFORE Wednesday, April 7 @ 5pm EST: http://www.squash.ca/canadianchampionships/2010/index.htm
(The deadline was just extended to allow for people to get back from the long weekend.)
If you have any questions feel free to email me: boaster[at]scrusquash[dot]com